The Dreadnought building was originally constructed in 1768 by Greenwich Hospital as its infirmary for treating sick Greenwich Pensioners. Previously patients had been accommodated within the main buildings but funds made available by the Admiralty at the end of the Seven Years’ War enabled the construction of separate accommodation.
Bomb damage closed the building in World War II after a direct hit destroyed operating theatres and the chapel. Then in 1941, an incendiary destroyed most of the roof. From 1947 the Hospital for Tropical Diseases relocated to central London and in 1948 the Dreadnought building was taken over by the newly created NHS and slowly refurbished.
In 1986, Dreadnought finally closed and the building fell into disrepair, until work started in 1998 to remodel it as a new main library for the University of Greenwich. The courtyard was covered in at ground floor level to create a reception and library space.
In 2019 Willmott Dixon restored the Grade II listed building by stripping it back and modernising it ready for its role at the heart of the University.
Crays Fire were tasked to supply, install and commission a new hard-wired fire alarm system throughout the building as part of the renovation. We selected a network of three Advanced Electronics Pro-4 fire alarm control panels, with over 1200 Hochiki devices throughout, including beam detection in the high level areas and an aspirating system under the flooring. As part of the package we also installed a combined disabled refuge/toilet system from the Baldwin Boxall Omnicare range, consisting of 23 x outstations and 7 x disabled toilets.